Scene 6
Cyrus, Buck, and Hazel are still tied up in the cellar.
Cyrus – Must be getting dark.
Buck – Hmmmm.
Hazel – Hard to tell, really.
Buck – Hmmmm.
Hazel – Do you think they’re gonna feed us anything?
Cyrus – I’m not sure.
Hazel – Hmmmm.
Buck – My foot’s asleep.
Cyrus – Hmmmm.
Buck – Well it’s more like my whole leg.
Cyrus and Hazel – Hmmmm.
Upstairs, you can hear the sound of footsteps and people getting punched and knocked out. Cyrus, Buck, and Hazel listen intently. Then Patch comes down the stairs, followed by Crane and a few other men.
Buck – Who are you?
Hazel – Haven’t I seen you somewhere before?
Crane and the other men start untying them.
Patch – It’s likely, I’m the man that hired you all. Come on, we’re busting you out.
Cyrus – Sure do appreciate it.
The men finish untying them, and they all run upstairs. They run for a while in the woods, then stop at Patch’s hideout.
Patch – Well that worked just fine. Now why did you have to be so careless as to get yourselves arrested?
Cyrus – We…certainly didn’t try to.
Crane – Well anyway, you’re out now.
Hazel – Would you by any chance have something that we could eat? We aint et nothing since breakfast.
Patch – Sure. Talk to Jed over there, and he can get you set up.
Hazel – Thank you.
They walk over to get food.
It is later, and Cyrus, Buck, and Hazel have eaten. They are sitting with their backs to some trees. Hazel is playing a guitar, and she, Cyrus, and Buck are singing.
Hazel – I miss my home so far away / I can’t return, I’m here to stay / And times like these, days like today / I miss my home so far away
Cyrus – When on the road I wander / Across the plains / My thoughts of home grow fonder / Fresh joys, new pains
Cyrus and Hazel – I miss my home so far away / I can’t return, I’m here to stay / And times like these, days like today / I miss my home so far away
Buck – Behind the hills the sun is setting / The cares of life all slip away
Buck and Hazel - Though storms may rage, I won’t start fretting / I’ll see my home again someday
Cyrus, Buck, and Hazel - I miss my home so far away / I can’t return, I’m here to stay / And times like these, days like today / I miss my home so far away
Hazel – I wonder how Maybelle and Morgan are doing.
Cyrus – I’m sure they’re fine.
Hazel – I hope so.
They sit quietly for a minute. Crane walks by.
Crane – We’re turning in; we’ve got a big day tomorrow.
Buck – Okay.
Crane walks off.
Hazel – Fellas.
Cyrus – What?
Hazel – I just realized who those men are.
Buck – Who?
Hazel – The leader’s name is Patch Slogun. He’s the outlaw that liked Maybelle, back in Willow Creek. That one that just walked by is Crane Whitley, his right-hand man.
Cyrus – Are you sure? Do you think they recognized you?
Hazel – I don’t know. I don’t think we ever officially met, but I definitely recognize them.
Buck – Small world.
Cyrus – Yeah. Well it sounds like the way to get ourselves acquitted is to get these guys turned in to the law.
Hazel – But how are we going to do that? Patch thinks that we’re the thieves, the Sheriff and those other men think that we’re the thieves, and everyone would think that we’re turning Patch and his men in so that we can keep those horses for ourselves.
Buck – I don’t get it. Why doesn’t anyone believe us?
Cyrus – Some folk are more inclined to do what feels right rather than what is right. But we can’t just sit here. Sooner or later, we’ll have to get away and tell someone.
Buck – Why don’t we just go now?
Cyrus – Cause they’d come looking for us. We have to think of a way to get away so that they won’t notice.
Hazel – So what do we do now?
Cyrus – Let’s wait until morning. Maybe Patch will let us go when he knows that we’re not the thieves, or maybe we can think up something later. But now, let’s try to get some sleep.
Hazel – Whatever you say, Cyrus.
Fade out
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment