Scene 7
It is morning. Patch walks over to where Cyrus is sleeping. Cyrus wakes up and sits up.
Cyrus – Well good morning.
Patch – Look, in my camp, you’ll wake up on time, okay?
Cyrus looks up at the sun.
Cyrus – Six o’clock?
Patch – My men were up an hour ago. We’re all ready to head off.
Cyrus – Sorry about that. Where are we headed?
Patch looks confused.
Patch – Where? To get the horses, of course.
Cyrus – Right… Listen. I really appreciate you busting us out of jail last night, but I’m afraid we aren’t the folks that stole the horses.
Patch – You play a tough game, mister. But here, I make the rules.
Crane and Jed walk over to Patch.
Patch – Now tell me where those horses are.
Cyrus – I’m sorry, sir, but I just don’t know.
Patch – What are you trying to accomplish? Do you think that you can just walk away with all those horses in your possession?
Buck and Hazel run up.
Hazel – What’s the matter?
Patch turns to Hazel.
Patch – Maybe you can answer my question. Where are the horses that you three stole two nights ago?
Hazel – (aside, to Cyrus and Buck) Why can’t anyone think of any other questions to ask us?
Crane grabs Hazel.
Crane – Don’t get smart. Just answer the question.
Buck – Now how can she answer a question she doesn’t know the answer to?
Jed punches Buck and he staggers backward.
Jed – Quiet, you.
Cyrus – Quiet yourself.
Cyrus pushes Jed. Patch punches Cyrus in the stomach, and a fistfight ensues. Crane holds Hazel back from joining in. At first, Cyrus and Buck are winning, but then 2 more men, Guy 1 and Guy 2 run up and join in. Eventually, Cyrus and Buck are overpowered and held at gunpoint.
Patch – Where are those horses?
Cyrus – I don’t know.
Jed punches Cyrus in the face. Cyrus turns to Buck.
Cyrus – Does this seem like déjà vu to you?
Buck – Just slightly.
Hazel – Look, we don’t know where the horses are.
Buck – Nobody believes us, but we didn’t steal them.
Jed punches Buck in the stomach.
Patch – That’s enough of that lie, now it’s time for the truth. If you don’t tell me where the horses are, I’ll shoot you.
Cyrus – Well then you’ll have to shoot us, cause we don’t know how we possibly could tell you.
Patch – Fine.
Patch nods to Crane, who holds a gun to Hazel’s head.
Patch – Maybe you’ll talk now. Where are those horses?
Cyrus – Hazel, I’m sorry.
Hazel – Don’t be.
Cyrus – Look, Patch. If I knew where the horses are, believe me I’d tell you!
Crane, not sure whether or not to shoot Hazel, clobbers her over the head with his gun. Cyrus breaks free and starts wrestling with Guy 1 for his gun. Guy 2, Buck, and Jed join in the ruckus, trying to break it up. A shot gets fired from the gun in Hazel’s direction. She groans, and drops to the ground, apparently lifeless. Cyrus and Buck are horrified. They rush over to her side, and Buck checks her heartbeat. He looks up at Patch with a look of horror and childish sorrow.
Buck – You killed her!
Patch – (about Cyrus) That’s his fault.
Crane and Jed pull Cyrus and Buck to their feet.
Patch – If you’d have told us where the horses were, this wouldn’t have happened.
Crane – Yeah. Now do you want to go the same way she did?
Crane cocks his gun.
Buck – Wait!
Everyone looks at Buck. Cyrus can’t figure out whether Buck is bluffing or not.
Buck – I’ll show you where the horses are.
Cyrus – Buck!
Crane – It’s about time.
Buck – I’m sorry, Cyrus, but there’s just things that need to be done. (to Patch) The horses are up north, about 5 miles from here. We had hidden them in case there was trouble, and it turns out there was.
Patch – Well, let’s get moving. Half the morning’s wasted already.
Crane – Yeah, and the Sheriff’ll be out looking for us.
Jed – What about her?
Buck – Leave her.
Cyrus – Buck!
Buck – I’m serious. If the Sheriff finds us on our way, you guys can tell them that we held you up, there was a scuffle, and she was shot. You then were able to capture us, and were in the process of taking us back to him. That way, we’ll go back with the Sheriff to jail, and you can come get us out again as soon as you can.
Patch – You’re talking some sense now.
Cyrus – No! Remember? Our hanging was set for today. If we get taken back there, it’ll be straight to a noose!
Buck – Then let’s just not get caught. Shall we go?
Patch – All right, folks, let’s move out. We head north.
Fade out
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment